Qualitative Research Synthesis: Session 1
Introduction to reviewing and synthesizing qualitative evidence
About the Workshop
Karin Hannes, PhD, from the Methodology of Educational Sciences Research Group at KU Leuven, Belgium, introduces general concepts of evidence produced by qualitative research. The focus of this webinar, originally aired on February 18, 2015, is to define the general idea of a qualitative evidence review and the difference from a traditional quantitative review.
View the Archive
- This session can be viewed via YouTube http://youtu.be/Yjhv8cVT7TU or on Adobe Connect: http://sedl.adobeconnect.com/p857rnr4l27/
- To increase volume, turn up the volume on your computer and use the volume bar on bottom left side of the YouTube video window.
- Captioning is available by selecting the "CC" option on the bottom right side of the video window. Click on "Options" to change the font, size, and color of the captions.
- Additional tools on the bottom right side: "Settings" increase the video quality; "Theater mode" (default)/"Full screen."
- Presentation Materials:
- Question and Answer Session with Karin Hannes
Please fill out the brief evaluation after viewing all 4 sessions of the workshop.
In this video, Dr. Karin Hannes continues her presentation with an overview of how to prepare a qualitative systematic review.
- Steps for Preparing a Qualitative Systematic Review (YouTube video, 28 minutes)
- Edited transcript.docx
- PDF file of slides used during the session: session1_021815-Additional-Materials.pdf
- Text version of PowerPoint™ presentation: session1_021815-Additional-Materials.docx
About the Presenter
Karin Hannes is assistant professor at the Methodology of Educational Sciences Research Group in the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. She has a background in adult education as well as medical-social sciences. Karin currently teaches qualitative research methodology to undergraduates and master students. She has been teaching Evidence-Based Practice and Systematic Review courses for over a decade, both in public health and educational sciences. Karin is the founder of the Belgian Campbell Group, co-convener of the Cochrane Qualitative and Implementation Methods Group, and a co-author of Chapter 20: Qualitative research and Cochrane reviews (Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Version 5.1.0). She has published several books and articles on qualitative evidence synthesis, particularly on critical appraisal of qualitative research. She also specializes in visual research methodology.
Qual Synth | Next: Session 2 (Mar. 4, 2015)
- Last Updated: