Search Registry

Registry of Systematic Reviews - Search Results

Found 1 entry matching your search criteria.

1. Citation: Lai, B., Young, H., Bickel, C. S., Motl, R. W., & Rimmer, J. H. (2017). Current trends in exercise intervention research, technology, and behavioral change strategies for people with disabilities: A scoping review. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 96(10), 748-761.
Keywords: Behavior, client characteristics, cognitive disabilities, disabilities, exercise, intervention, literature reviews, outcomes, physical disabilities, rehabilitation research, research methodology, technology, trends
Abstract: This review synthesized physical activity and exercise intervention literature for the past 10 years for people with physical and cognitive disabilities including intervention characteristics, behavior change strategies, and types of technologies used to improve targeted outcomes. Systematic searches of MEDLINE, CINAHL, PsychINFO, and Scopus databases yielded 132 eligible studies. The major disability groups studied were multiple sclerosis (41 percent), stroke (15 percent), and spinal cord injury (12 percent). Research designs primarily involved randomized controlled trials (61 percent); quasi-experimental designs accounted for the remaining 39 percent. Most studies reported common exercise modalities in the following four categories: aerobic, strength, balance, and flexibility. Overall, studies delivered primarily traditional modes of exercise (86 percent) versus sport, leisure, or recreational activities, delivered over an average duration of 3.4 months. Approximately 20 percent of the interventions used some form of the following technology: information and communication technology (48 percent), interactive technology (37 percent), or electronic gauges (30 percent). Eighteen percent of studies used intervention strategies based on behavioral theory, which was typically combined with technology to promote activity and increase adherence in generally larger study samples. The three prevailing theories included social cognitive theory (58 percent), supportive accountability theory (21 percent), and transtheoretical model (21 percent). Upon completing the intervention, studies reported primarily significant outcomes. The findings provide a roadmap for future exercise trials on understudied populations and highlight technology and behavior change theory as drivers of future intervention research.
Full-Text Availability Options:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28398967
Record Updated:2018-11-13
 

Home or Search again