Session 2: Methods for Scoping Reviews
In this session, we will provide an in-depth presentation of the steps of conducting a scoping review. These steps include framing the research question, evidence retrieval, study classification, assessing quality of evidence, data extraction and organization, and collating, summarizing, and reporting the results of a Scoping Review. Faculty: Chad Nye, PhD; Oliver Wendt, PhD; Ginny Brunton, MSc.
Methods for Scoping Reviews
- Framing a Scoping Review Question
- Retrieval of Evidence: Literature Search & Seizure
- Study Classification and Selection
- Determining Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria
- Assessing the Quality of the Evidence
- Data Extraction & Organization
- Developing a Coding Form: Charting the Data
- Challenges of Data Extraction
- Collating, Summarizing, & Reporting
- Developing a Numerical Summary
- Developing a Thematic Summary
- Report Results: Study Quality, Outputs; etc.,
- Discuss implications for (1) Future Research, (2) Practice, and (3) Policy
Readings to Prepare for Session 2
- Hithersay, R., Straydom, A., Moulster, G., & Buszewicz, M. (2014). Carer-led health interventions to monitor, promote and improve the health of adults with intellectual disabilities in the community: A systematic review. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35, 887-907. PMID: 24495402
- The Johanna Briggs Institute Reviews’ Manual 2015: Methodology for JBI Scoping Reviews, https://wiki.jbi.global/display/MANUAL
View the Archive
- This session can be viewed via YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I7zTJLa36w&feature=youtu.be
- To increase volume, turn up the volume on your computer and use the volume bar on bottom left side of the YouTube video window.
- Captioning is available by selecting the "CC" option on the bottom right side of the video window. Click on "Options" to change the font, size, and color of the captions.
- Additional tools on the bottom right side: "Settings" increase the video quality; "Theater mode" (default)/"Full screen."
- PDF file of slides used during the session: session2_052516.pdf
- Text version of PowerPoint™ presentation: session2_052516.docx
- Edited Transcript
- Last Updated: